London Cheapo | Part-time Freelance Writer (Remote)
We’re looking for part-time writers to join our nomadic band of cheapos. As a writer, we’ll look to you to share your knowledge of London with our growing reader base. It’s all about finding value in one of the world’s most expensive cities, so you’ll have plenty of excuses to explore parts of London you’ve never had the chance to see. You can also look forward to many, many cat and dog gifs. The exact hours may vary, but we’re looking for roughly one day of your time a week.
Your responsibilities will include
- Researching and writing 3–4 articles per month, or other writing tasks as needed
- Learning and implementing SEO best practices
- Pitching interesting and relevant articles
- Uploading and editing your content using on our WordPress platform
- Staying current with London events, news and deals
- Visiting locations, events and restaurants to get a feel for them and snap a few photos
What you’ll need
- A flair for expressive and informative writing
- Experience in pitching and delivering well-researched articles to deadlines
- A love of London, and a reasonable knowledge of the city
- Basic photography skills—you don’t need a flashy camera, but an understanding of light and composition will come in handy
- Ideally, some knowledge of WordPress or other publishing tools
Pay and benefits
You’ll earn £400 per month in base pay, as well as refunds for work-related travel and expenses. You’ll also generally get to set your own hours—as long as you’re getting things done, we don’t mind when you do it. The same goes for where you are. Obviously you’ll need to be around London regularly for first-hand research, but you won’t be tied to a particular office or area.
London Cheapo first went live back in 2016, and we’ve been skulking around the capital looking for bargains ever since. But it’s not just us—there’s our big sister site, Tokyo Cheapo, and our most recent site, Hong Kong Cheapo. Across the network we attract more than a million readers a month, with as many as 100,000 coming from London Cheapo. And we’re only continuing to grow. Our goal is to promote affordable, sustainable and ethical living in dozens of major cities across the globe.
The application process
Start by completing our assessment form—it should only take ten to fifteen minutes. If we’re impressed by your application, we’ll be in touch with a practice assignment, in which you’ll write an article on a subject you know well. You’ll be paid for your time whether the article makes it onto the site or not. We’re really just interested in seeing your writing style and getting to know how you work, so just relax and do what comes naturally. We know that applying can be hard work—so we’re happy to provide feedback if asked.