Contract Writer/Editor, Japan, Part-time
Type: Part-time for 3 months
Start: June 1st, 2022 or ASAP
Hours: 50–100 hours/month
Location: Tokyo (or remote in Japan)
Schedule: Flexible – you decide where and when you work, but you must do the majority of your work on weekdays so we can communicate
Fast Train (Tokyo Cheapo) is looking for someone to join our team to help update our vast collection of guides, tips, and articles for international visitors and foreign residents.
- Update and improve our articles on Tokyo Cheapo and Japan Cheapo
- Research original Japanese sources and fact check any data connected with articles
- Regularly communicate with senior editors and management
Skills & experience
- Excellent research skills in English and Japanese
- Experience with paid writing jobs for the web or print (this is not the job if you have no writing experience)
- Excellent English writing skills
- Some experience with editing would also be useful
Who would this position suit?
This position would suit someone who has a deep knowledge of Tokyo and who is unusually curious. Do you get frustrated when articles and how-to guides leave out the details? We do too!
This position is also ideal for someone with other commitments who needs some flexibility. You can do this job whenever and wherever you like, but you must do it on a regular schedule.
It should go without saying, but since you’ll be working remote, you need to be an independent worker who is comfortable working on your own. We’re not looking for a hermit though, we communicate regularly and when the pandemic allows, we have regular in-person meetups.
As the inbound tourism market in Japan recovers, this may evolve into an expanded or full time position. There will also be opportunities to write new articles as our core content gradually becomes more up to date.
Additionally, we receive regular requests to go on paid writing trips around Japan.
More Info and how to apply
For more about the company and our working style, please see our careers page.