Tokyo Cheapo | Full-time Sub-editor
About the company
Fast Train Ltd. was founded in 2012 with our first Cheapo-branded site, Tokyo Cheapo. Our practical and friendly editorial style has won over the hearts of travelers and expats alike to quickly become the most popular English-language website about Tokyo. Since then we’ve launched three more websites — London Cheapo, Japan Cheapo and Hong Kong Cheapo — with new city sites on the horizon for 2020.
Across the network we attract more than 2 million page views and 1 million readers each month. And we’re only continuing to grow. Our goal is to promote affordable, sustainable and ethical living in dozens of major cities across the globe. Learn more about the Fast Train Ltd. company and its Cheapo guides.
About the role
Fast Train Ltd. is looking for a hawkeyed sub-editor to polish and prep travel-related content for online publication. In this role, you will plan, review and edit content according to our voice, tone and style— abiding by journalistic ethics and standards all the while.
The successful candidate will also have a good sense for discerning which pitches can be developed into informative and captivating articles for our readership. A key part of the job will involve optimizing content for search ranking, and another important aspect will involve integrating affiliate links and optimising content for conversions.
You will work closely with the Editor-in-Chief and the SEO/Affiliates Integration Manager.
Fast Train Limited is a remote-first company, which means there’s no regular requirement to commute to our office. However you must be based in Tokyo to satisfy the need for location-specific subject expertise, and occasional in-person meetings.
- Check new and updated content and ensure copy is clean and ready for publication
- Check for spelling and language errors, logical organization, factual accuracy, overall readability
- Curate Japan/Tokyo content ideas based on internal strategy, travel trends and readership interests
- Liaise with writers, photographers, graphic designers and others within the editorial cycle
- Give feedback to writers to improve copy
- Write strong headlines, subheadings, captions and decks
- Work on many projects simultaneously and meet deadlines
- Work on content in our WordPress CMS
- Participate in regularly scheduled conference calls
- Implement SEO best practices, while continuously developing knowledge thereof
- Optimize content for affiliate conversions
- Delegate editorial work to other team members and check on progress status
- Experience in copy editing, preferably in travel media (minimum 2 years)
- Strong writing/editing skills with a portfolio to back it up (social media-only portfolios will NOT be considered)
- A sharp eye able to pick up rogue commas and capitals, double spaces and the like, as well as funky facts
- Tokyo resident for at least one year and currently based here
- Familiarity with SEO best practices
- Familiarity with affiliate marketing best practices
- University or college degree in Journalism, Media, English,
- Communications or a related field
Skills and attributes
- Exceptional and nuanced mastery of the English language
- Highly organized
- Strong work ethic
- Ability to give and take feedback
- Familiarity with WordPress as a CMS
- Familiarity with Asana and Slack
- Experience with affiliate management/marketing
- Japanese-language ability
Pay, terms and benefits
You’ll be included in our annual profit share/bonus program after 1 year of full time work.
Benefits: Employer Social Insurance & Pension contributions
Flexible work environment: We’re very flexible with working hours and location, so this is a great opportunity if you’re not keen on commuting every day. There’s scope for working remotely for extended periods.
Japan Travel: Being a tourism and travel company we regularly have opportunities for work trips around Japan.
Step 1: Application form
Step 2*: Paid copy editing task to assess their ability to:
correct grammar, spelling and punctuation errors
rework awkward sentences
reorganize flaws in organization
identify any critical information that may be missing
improve clarity, conciseness and readability
make SEO suggestions
Step 3*: In-person interview in Tokyo, Japan
*Only candidates who have been chosen based on their Step 1 application will be selected for Steps 2 and 3.